Thursday, January 21, 2010

The worst week of my life

So Monday night I had just fallen asleep for about 45 mintues ( I had been up since 4am ) and my phone rings. Its the hospital. Something had shown up on Kyles blood test. An infection had started to grow. They told me to bring back to the ER as soon as possible. I wake Jeremy up. I told him to call his Dad and Sherry to come get Levi cause I was not going to go back up there this time by myself.
They come get Levi and Jeremy, Kyle and me head up to the hospital. I am beyond freaked out. We get up to the ER and they get us in right away. The doctor comes in and explains to us that an infection had started to grow in the blood. It was to soon to know what the infection was so they were going to run all the test again (blood, and urine) and this time they were going to do a spinal tap. To see if they could find out where the infection was and in the mean time they were going to start him on 3 different IV antibiotics which where broad spetrum antibiotics that would basically kill any infection any where and they told us they would than be admitting him for at least 48 hours.
We left the room while they did the spinal tap and the other test in the ER. We than waited in the ER for a room upstairs.
By the time we were admitted up stairs I had been awake for 24 hours and only slept for maybe an hour and half. Jeremy and I were so freaked out by all of this.
Tuesday was pretty much a blur. I did get a short nap. The doctors came in and told us that they had identified the infection and it was a strep pneumo bacteremia. So they were going to do a chest xray to see if the pneumia was in his lungs.
The xray came back clear. They did see the RSV in the lungs but no pneumonia. So that was really good news.
Tuesday night his RVS took a huge turn for the worse. He needed Oxygen and a bunch of deep suctioning. He got a slight fever. So Wednesday we were just managing the RSV as best we good. They were going to place a PICC Line but because his RSV had gotten worse the team that usually does them was not comfortable doing it. So our doctors were trying to figure out if they were gong to put him under general aneasthesia to do it for find a different antibiotic that would not need to be through the IV. Wednesday night his RSV got better. They took him off the Oxygen and he stayed off of it.
Thursday we were just waiting for them to figure out what to do about the PICC line. They told us that the team that usually does them is done by a nurse practitioner and she was the one that was not comfortable sedating him cause of the RSV but they have a team with an Attending doctor in Radiology that was every confident in doing the procedure. So they scheduled that for Friday morning.
He was not able to eat before the procedure so I took Friday morning and saw Levi at Burger King down the street for a while. Levi is not sick with the bad cold and he was every confused about what had been happening for the last week. I knew he was being super well care for but cause he was sick he wanted his Mommy. When we were leaving he wanted to come with me. But I do have to say that through it all he was a real trooper. Jeremy would wake him up every morning and take him to Dennis and Sherrys and than Jeremy would come spend the day with Kyle and I up at the hospital and than Jer would go pick Levi up and bring him home and do it all again the next day. I did not want to leave the hospital room for one minute. But I had to a couple times to keep my sanity. I did shower at the shower they had down the hall. They were so busy at the hospital that we were sharing a room with another baby. They space we had was about 5 feet by maybe 8 feet and a chair that folded out into a bed for me to eat sleep and nurse on.
So any ways his RSV than turned the corner and Friday we took him down and stayed with him till he was sedated and than left, got something to drink at the cafe and by the time we were back up in the room the nurse was just leaving to go get Kyle. When he came back up he was still sound asleep. So we waiting about 15 minutes than he woke up and was super super hungry, he had gone almost 10 hours with out eating. So I fed him and he went right back to sleep. We than started to get ready to go home.
They got every thing ready for us to go home and about 6pm Friday night we were headed home. It so so wonderful to be going home.
We got home and Dennis and Sherry brought Levi home and brought us some dinner. Home Health came and dropped off the supplies we would need to care for him for the next week.
We were all so happy to have our family back together under one roof. It was the best feeling in the world.
And that is the summary of the worst week of my life.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow! well I'm glad you got to come home. When my son was in the NICU after he was born for 2 weeks and they would keep giving me horrible news on his condition I have to say I was so grateful when it was all over. I hate hospitals, even though phoenix children's is a really good one.

Jeff said...

Glad that you are home now. I miss you and love your family tons. -AMY

Derico Photography said...

So glad you guys are all home! I am so sorry you had to go through this, especially little Kyle. If it makes you feel any better, having my picc line placed didn't hurt any, and while it was annoying, it helped me immensely, and really, there wasn't any pain involved with any of it (well, except for the tape to hold it in place, but I'm allergic to it, so hopefully it won't bother the little one ). Anyway, please, please let us know if you need help with anything.

Allyanne said...

Why did you need a PICC line Meghan?

 
The Madsens - Free Blogger Templates, Free Wordpress Themes - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Shows Online. Unblock through myspace proxy unblock, Songs by Christian Guitar Chords